Tuesday 29 November 2016

Boom Bust Boom - Film Review


Boom Bust Boom - Directed by Terry and Bill Jones, and Benjamin Timlett. Recommended Age: 13+
Image result for boom bust boom director

I have to admit, Boom Bust Boom wouldn't normally be on my "watch list". I only saw it because of the Into Film week, a festival encouraging young teens to explore different types of film. However, to my surprise, it was actually well worth the trip.

I should start by explaining what kind of documentary it was. It was made up of an hour and 14 minutes of sheer politics - covering the credit crunch of 2008, the great depression, Neo-Classical economics and finally free markets. It had such a potential to be boring - even twenty minutes of economics is enough for me - but managed to be funny and entertaining.

If this film catches your fancy, and you'd like to keep reading, clicky "read more" below!

This is achieved through a wide variety of mixed media, including several puppet scenes, interviews, animation and cartoons, and even a few extracts of South Park. It was energetic and creative, and the bizarre blend of politicians and puppes worked smoothly. Somehow, it managed to (dare I say it,) make hardcore politics interesting!

However, like with all my thoughts on movies, I couldn't call it perfect. At times, it strayed onto the wrong side of "cheesy", and I found myself anxiously waiting for the puppets to finally stop singing and get on with the point. Furthermore, it was, in a sense, a little bleak. It's bottom line was that the economics education curriculum is pointless and doesn't teach anyone anything useful, and also that we're heading into another economic depression soon. Cheerful stuff.


Naturally, I'm being a little too harsh - my inner critic is making a comeback - as overall, it was an entertaining film that hung together well. It covered a mountain of information in an engaging way, an achievement that all documentaries long for. Finally, it required no previous knowledge in politics - a wonderful idea for someone like me.  If anyone's looking for a funny documentary and has a high threshold for cheese, I'd suggest you go give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment