Monday 12 December 2016

Film Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them

Image result for fantastic beasts and where to find them trailerFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Facts for the Film:
Directed by: David Yates
Genre: Fantasy
Sequel to: The great Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling
Protagonist: Eddie Redmayne
Five Stars

Before I start, I should confess that I am a great Harry Potter fan - I've read the books, visited the studios, made my own wand, and memorized a great many spells, so I can't promise my review won't be biased! That said, I hope you'll believe me when I say this film is as fantastic as the beasts themselves. To me, it was like the franchise has finally grown up, left the school environment and has made a name for itself in its own right. The director, David Yates, has effortlessly blended in all the lore from the HP Universe whilst still retaining originality. Whilst this could be attributed purely to the change of country - Fantastic Beasts is set in America - I personally believe it was down to Rowling's astounding level of creativity, that made it a completely different setting.

The plot, in a nutshell, revolves around an English wizard, called Newt, who's magical suitcase of rare creatures has gone missing. Soon, monsters of all sizes are wreaking havoc in New York - but not all of them are his.

Want to read more? Clicky below:



The quaint 1920's setting was pleasant, the acting was of an incredible quality and the CGI was astounding. The creatures were masterfully done, realistic and adorable, so I'd like a bowtruckle for Christmas, please. I really have to congratulate Yates - I was expecting a cheap spin off of the series, but instead received a wonderfully fluid extension of the HP universe, a film that could have worked equally well on its own.

However, even as a dedicated fan, I could sense I was at the maximum age limit for this film. Whilst all my family loved it, I'd put the "golden age" for viewing at eleven to thirteen,  as I felt some aspects were a bit on the sweet side. That said, it was truly magical and I sure it would leave even the oldest Harry Potter fan spellbound. My only advice: see it before it leaves the cinemas!

This review was published on the "Home-Ed Gazette", a monthly newspaper for Home-Edders like you! To see more reviews, along with news, competitions and more, have a peek here. It'll be well worth your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment