Tuesday 24 May 2016

Classic Books: Are they all dry, dusty and boring?

Ah, the classics.
Those scary books that your great great uncle brandishes under your nose, those books that you receive as gifts but never read, those books that you have to know about for a literacy assignment, but end up getting the synopsis off the internet. Ah, those poor books, doomed to live untouched by the future generation. Right? Wrong.

"Oh, no," you say, "I couldn't possibly manage to read that. I mean, look at it, it's ancient! It's probably written with complicated words like defenestration or something. There's no romance, action or thrill! They're..." You pause and pick the right word. "boring! Yes, boring. Literature as improved greatly since then."
But no. I mean, sure, it's not as fast-paced, violent and easy to read as modern books, but they're just as just as good. And trust me, as a true bookworm, I know what I'm talking about.

Hmm? Convince me. 

Well, I must start by saying that modern books aren't all sparkly beauties themselves. Many are violent, rude and trashy and just aren't worth the read. Furthermore, many are just copies of each other - a strong hero who battles against authority to do what is right, and along the way picks up two other accomplices (Usually a girl and a boy) and they save the world together. If you can think of more than two books with this layout, then you'll know what I'm talking about. But, as with previously, this is a generalization. Not all modern books are trashy, just like not all old books are boring.

Can you put your money where your mouth is? Or are you going off vague guesses?
I've personally enjoyed many "old fashioned books" and despite the (sometimes) difficult language, I would often find that I was hooked, and unable to put the book down. Seriously! However, just like I don't enjoy all modern fiction, I  found some books hard to read, or just too wordy. To be honest, I don't read classical works all the time, as after a while, it just gets too tough. But, when I get fed up of poorly written or bitty books, I turn to my old favourites.

Convinced? Well, then, I won't overface you with a long reading list, but just here are three books that I have really enjoyed. These aren't the only good books out there - I really enjoyed many of Charles Dickens', Rudyard Kipling's and Lewis Carol's but these are a few that are off the beaten track.


The Eagle of the Ninth
So whilst this is not a total classic (as it was written about seventy years ago) it still is finding itself read less and less, as teenagers turn to modern thrillers. However, this book is a true action tale, and, set in the depths of Roman Britain, it is exciting and readable, providing a window into Ancient Britain, with its tribes and battles. It descries the long journey of an ex-soldier trying to recapture the Eagle of the Ninth, and bring honour back to the Roman Army. It was gripping and provided more than its fair share of action.
I thought it was a heartwarming and thrilling read, an written in a warm and readable way. Whilst I read it several years ago, I always look for an opportunity to reread it!



King Solomon's Mines
Although written in a slightly less easy-read style, King Solomon's mines is no less of a thrilling tale. It follows three adventurers who journey off into the heart of Africa to find King Solomon's fabled gold mines. On the way, they encounter many struggles, and fight against evil kings, screaming warriors and cackling witches.
I  found this book exciting and filled with action despite, perhaps, a slow start. It was written well, although slightly difficult at times, with occasional flashes of witty humour that sent me into fits of giggles.



 The Scarlet Pimpernel
A beautifully crafted book about romance, veiled love and spies, capturing the heat of any romance reader with the characters' well written feelings and hopes. It is set in the era of the French revolution, following the adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel, a mysterious English spy, as he helps the endangered French nobility escape the guillotine. The interesting thing is, is that for a good part of the book, his identity remains a secret, to all but himself.
 In the meantime, a French spy catcher has made his way into England and is hot on the trail of our beloved hero, by blackmailing Lady Blakeney, a rich French mistress in a loveless marriage, to help his search. She is forced to feed him the path of the Scarlet Pimpernel, but what she finds may tear herself, her marriage and her family apart. A beautiful book, filled with spies, romance and mystery. I was gripped, and couldn't put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment