Friday 26 August 2016

Popcorn and Thoughts: The Lie Tree

These are my thoughts on a book called "The Lie Tree" written by Frances Hardinge. If you haven't read this book, and intend to, then I wouldn't advise reading this. It contains a lot of spoilers, as I am discussing what I thought of the book - its end, climax and style. However, if you've read this book before, then I would be interested to know if you felt the same way. Stick a comment in the box, it makes my day!

If you're interested in giving it a click, press "read more" below. You know the drill, Private.


I really enjoyed “The Lie Tree”, as it was well written, had good characterisation and was original. I’ve read so many YA (Young Adult) fiction books that if they don’t stand out enough, they all start to blend together into a mass of action-fiction-magical books that I vaguely remember as being enjoyable. However, I’m happy to say this book won’t join the pile!

One thing I enjoyed was not being able to completely like or trust a character. Half way through the book, I evaluated my feelings, and realised to my amazement, that I couldn’t support any character I had come across.  Usually, the main hero of the book is likeable – you trust them as they always have justice and goodness on their mind. However, not so with The Lie Tree. Faith was swiftly heading down a dark path, and I thought that whilst I sided with her, I didn’t actually like her. There were just some instances where she was purely mean, without seeming to have a cause.
However, I really enjoyed this, as it gave the characters so much depth – you couldn’t trust anyone, and you never knew of their motives. It was much more interesting and realistic (as none of us are purely good or bad) than many other YA books I’ve read.

I also enjoyed the twist at the end. Throughout the book, you are silently cursing the sexist men who believe that all women are stupid, docile creatures, but it had a sense of poetic justice when it turned out the real master villain was the very person you overlooked, because she was a woman. The very thing Faith was complaining about, but also using to her advantage, was her downfall. I really admired the craftsmanship of that final twist.

Unfortunately, the actual ending disappointed me. I thought it was dull and lacking emotion, as things were tied up too nicely. Sure, their father died, but instead of approaching their future with sadness and fear added with a tiny bit of hope, it was finished neatly. Not only did they have a house in England to look forward to, but Faith’s possible future love interest, and Myrtle’s definite future husband could all come join them too!

This was disappointing, as in a one-off book (without a future-series to look after), I’d have expected some more emotion, some more beautifully crafted sadness, and a feeling that despite all the odds, Myrtle, How and Faith can become a loving family again, even though publicly shamed, poor and bereft… etc. Call me macabre if you like, but there was nothing to think about afterwards. Just a disappointed “Oh. Well, that’s it then, I guess”.

Despite all that criticism, I DID enjoy the book. It would be placed on my top twenty favourite reads. (And that’s saying something, I can assure you!) I have already brought another book by the same author; I enjoyed the first one so much! I’m just being picky for debate’s sake, and raising some points. Please tell me what you thought of them, and whether you agreed or disagreed!


No comments:

Post a Comment